Night Light for Couples, the couples' devotional from Focus on the Family ministry founder Dr. James Dobson and his wife, Shirley, brings spouses together each evening, helping them stay connected with each other and their Lord.
“This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?” Luke 12:20
The utter folly of materialism hit home dramatically for me (jcd) during a trip to Britain years ago. As I toured the museums and historical buildings, I was struck by what I called “empty castles.” Standing there in the lonely fog were edifices constructed by proud men who thought they owned them. But where are those men today? All are gone; most are forgotten. The hollow castles they left behind stand as monuments to the vulnerability and impermanence of the men who built them.
I hope to leave more than empty castles behind when I die—something more meaningful than land, machines, stocks, or fame. I will consider my earthly existence to have been wasted unless my legacy is a loving family, a consistent investment in the lives of people, and an earnest attempt to have served the God who made me. Nothing else really matters.
Just between us…
- If we died tonight, would our obituaries describe empty pursuits or meaningful lives?
- How would the Lord judge our stewardship of money, time, and belongings?
- What has been our most foolish investment or expenditure in the past few years?
- Do we seek satisfaction in things or in the Lord? Is a change in order?
- How can we encourage each other to pursue what really matters?
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James
& Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.