Night Light for Couples, the couples' devotional from Focus on the Family ministry founder Dr. James Dobson and his wife, Shirley, brings spouses together each evening, helping them stay connected with each other and their Lord.
“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.” 1 Timothy 6:10
Money. Men and women have lusted for it, killed for it, died for it, and gone to hell for it. Money has come between the best of friends, fractured families, and brought down the proud and mighty. And it has torn millions of marriages limb from limb! According to Larry Burkett, founder and CEO of Christian Financial Concepts, 80 percent of couples seeking divorce say the focus of their disagreements is money. During Jesus’ time on earth, He spoke more about money than any other subject. Most of His pronouncements came in the form of warnings: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21); “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?” (Matthew 16:26); “You cannot serve both God and Money” (Matthew 6:24).
If we want to love and serve God—and keep our marriages intact— we need to regularly examine our relationship with money, then ask: “Whom do we serve?”
Just between us…
- Have you ever had a hurtful disagreement with family or friends over money?
- How do you feel about the way we handle our finances?
- Are there ways in which we push God aside to “serve” money?
- What could we do to make sure our financial decisions are in line with Jesus’ teachings?
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James
& Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Larry Burkett excerpt from Love for a Lifetime by Dr. James Dobson (Sisters, Ore.: Multnomah Publishers, Inc. 1998).