Just as you must trust the Lord in all you do, so also should you trust His Word.
Years ago, shortly after I (jcd) left my positions at Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and the University of Southern California School of Medicine, I discovered that my frequent travel and speaking engagements on behalf of families were taking a toll on my own family. As I wrestled with this problem, I came across a Scripture passage that showed me the solution. Moses was exhausted from solving all his people’s disputes. Jethro, his father‐in‐law, recognized this and advised Moses to appoint others to help, saying “If you do this, and God so commands, you will be able to stand the strain, and all these people will go home satisfied” (Exodus 18:23). The next day I canceled all but two of my speaking appointments for the following year and determined to stay home. That decision led to the start of Focus on the Family and a film series seen by 80 million people!
The wisdom contained in the world’s leading bestseller—the Bible— has sustained husbands and wives for thousands of years. Wouldn’t it be foolish to trust God, yet ignore His Word?
Just between us…
- What Scripture verse has made the biggest difference in your life?
- Do you feel that we spend enough time reading the Bible as a couple?How can we allocate more time for reading the Word?
- Which book of the Bible would you like to study next?
- How can we get even more out of our Scripture reading?
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
- Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.